To obtain a certified copy of a Birth Certificate for a person born in the State of Texas please read the below information.
Business transactions will not be accepted after 4:30 p.m.
2. By Mail - Bell County Clerk, Attn: Vital Records, P. O. Box 480, Belton, Texas 76513
***Completed mail in requests are mailed via regular U.S. Mail. The Clerk's office is not responsible for misdirected mail.***
Information for Birth Certificate Application:
1. Application for a certified copy must be completed by a qualified applicant as defined below. The applicant must include a photocopy of his or her valid photo ID issued by a governmental entity, Affidavit of Personal Knowledge(by mail only) and payment.
See Section 181.28(i)(10) of the the Texas Administrative Code for a complete list of acceptable forms of identification.
Birth Certificate ID Requirements in Texas Brochure (English)
Requisitos de identificación para las actas de nacimiento en Texas Brochure(Spanish)
Copies of birth certificates for births that occurred within the past 75 years can be requested only by the person whose name is on the birth certificate or by the immediate family member of the person whose name is on the birth certificate. Applicants who are not immediate family members must provide legal documentation (such as a court order establishing guardianship) that demonstrates a direct, tangible interest in the birth certificate.
See Section 181.1(13) of the Texas Administrative Code for what qualifies as an immediate family member.
2. Please see below information to complete and ensure that your application is submitted to the right registrar.
- If an individual was born before 1964, has a delayed record or was born outside of a hospital, the birth certificate must be requested from the registrar in County/City the individual was born or the Texas Department of State Health Services at (512)458-7111.
- If an individual was born before 1964, has a delayed record or was born outside of a hospital in the City of Temple, the birth certificate must be requested from the City of Temple at (254)298-5700 or the Texas Department of State Health Services at (512)458-7111.
3. Requesting a BIRTH CERTIFICATE to obtain a PASSPORT:
It has been our experience that the passport authorities require the long form birth certificate.
- LONG FORM BIRTH CERTIFICATES - Long form birth certificates are more detailed with the time of birth, hospital of birth, doctor information, and parents information. Used most often to obtain a passport and typically required for purposes of dual citizenship, Indian Registry and immigration. Because this format contains information that can facilitate identify theft, the State recommends that you order this format only when it is required.
- Requesting a LONG FORM BIRTH CERTIFICATE:
The Bell County Clerk's Office maintains long form birth certificates for individuals born in Belton, Harker Heights, Killeen, Fort Hood, and rural Bell County and can be obtained at our Belton or Killeen locations. To request a long form birth certificate for a birth occurring in Temple, please contact the City of Temple at (254)298-5700.
4. Requesting a SHORT FORM BIRTH CERTIFICATE:
The Bell County Clerk's Office is equipped to provide short form birth certificates for individuals born after 1926 in the State of Texas. This is the most commonly issued format because it satisfies most purposes, including registering a child for school or sports and obtaining a driver license in most states. If the birth record is not available in this format or if the state you live in requires the long form birth certificate for a driver license, a long form birth certificate will need to be requested from the registrar in County/City the individual was born.
Click here for BY MAIL Birth Certificate Application Form
Click here for IN PERSON Birth Certificate Application Form - (this form is only to be used when visiting our office in person)
Applications for birth certificates cannot be processed without a valid photo ID, the signature of the applicant and Affidavit of Personal Knowledge(by mail only) and payment.
Click here for list of valid IDs