Veteran Services

Quick links

Print Request email notification when page changesEmail Notify

Veteran Services - FAQs

  1. How can I get a copy of my DD214/Military Discharge?
    • If you registered your DD 214/military discharge document with the County Clerk, you can obtain a CERTIFIED copy from their office free of charge. 

      Contact their office at (254) 933-5165 or request a certified copy by obtaining the DD 214 Application Form online at

      You may also fax your DD 214 Application Form with a COPY of your photo ID to:  (254) 933-5176 or you may send your request by mail to:

      Bell County Clerk's Office
      Attn:  Vital Records
      P.O. Box  480
      Belton, Texas  76513

      If you did not register your DD 214 with the County Clerk's office, you may request your DD 214 from National Personnel Records Center at to download the SF Form 180

      You can send your completed request (SF Form 180) by fax to:  (314) 801-9195

      You may also send your completed request (SF Form 180) by mail to:

      National Personnel Records Center
      1 Archives Drive
      St. Louis, MO  63138

      While requesting your DD 214/military discharge, also request a copy of your military medical and personnel records, awards, citations, and replacement medals/decorations.  These may come in handy when trying to support your claim with VA.

      NOTE:  If you've ever filed a claim before with the VA Regional Office in Waco, they will have a copy of your DD 214/military discharge.  Their office number is (800) 827-1000.



  2. I am a disabled veteran or the surviving spouse of a deceased veteran.  How do I get a disability status letter from the VA so that I may take advantage of my property tax exemption benefit?
    • If you are a disabled veteran rated at least 30% or the surviving spouse of a deceased veteran who was rated 100% permanently and totally disabled at death, you may get a disability status letter from the VA to take advantage of property tax exemption benefits.  Call the VA Regional Office at (800) 827-1000.
  3. Can an honorably discharged veteran be buried in a VA cemetery?
    • Yes.  Contact the Central Texas State Veterans Cemetery for additional information.  Contact Phone:  (254) 616-1770.  Address location:

      11463 State Highway 195
      Killeen, Texas  76542