County Clerk

Military Discharge - DD214

The military services encourage all military personnel to file their discharge papers (DD 214) with the county clerk in the county of residence. 

Texas Local Government Code, Section 192.002 authorizes the county clerk to file the military discharge at no cost. 

Filing the military discharge provides a permanent record for future proof of service for veterans' benefits.  The original is returned to the owner after recording. 

Government Code 552.140 (b) defines the confidentiality of the record and (c) identifies persons who may inspect the military discharge record or obtain from the governmental body free of charge a copy or certified copy of the record.

To Order a copy of your DD214: Send the DD214 Application Form (provided below) with a COPY of your photo ID to:

Bell County Clerk's Office
Attn: Vital Records
P. O. Box 480
Belton, Texas  76513


By Fax: (254) 933-6072 or (254)933-5176

If you did not file your DD214 with the Bell County Clerk's Office, you can also visit the National Archives Records web site and request it online or you can contact the National Archives Records at (314) 801-0800.  Once you receive your certified copy from the National Archives, you may record your DD214 with the Bell County Clerk at no charge.

DD214 Application Form