District Attorney

Identity Theft

Additional Links and Steps:

Websites:     www.texasfightsidtheft.gov                   www.oag.state.tx.us

ATM cards:  Report stolen ATM cards immediately.  When you get a new card and account number, do not use the same password as the stolen card.

Checking:  If your checks have been stolen, or fraudulent information has been provided to a bank, notify the bank and appropriate check verification companies and place a stop payment on any outstanding checks you did not write.

Creditors:  Contact all your creditors in writing by certified mail to inform them of the theft and ask that old accounts be closed as "account closed at consumer's request."

Driver's License:  If someone is using your driver's license number as identification for back checks, contact the Department of Motor Vehicles to issue a fraud alert.  Request a new license number and fill out a complaint form.

Health Insurance:  If your health insurance card is stolen, report it to your health insurer.

Long Distance:  If your long distance calling card has been stolen, call the carrier to cancel the account and open an new one.  Also call if you discover fraudulent charges.

Passport:  Notify the nearest regional passport office to prevent the use of your name in a fraudulent passport.  General Automated Number:  877-487-2778.  Regional Office location:  Houston Passport Agency, Mickey Leland Federal Building, 1919 Smith Street, 4th Floor, Houston, TX  77002    www.travel.state.gov

Small Claims or Civil Judgment:  If a civil judgment has been entered in your name for actions taken by the identity thief, contact the court where the judgment was entered and report that you are a victim of identity theft.  If you are wrongfully prosecuted for criminal charges, contact the State Department of Justice and the FBI to ask how to clear your name.     www.usdoj.gov   or   www.fbi.gov

Social Security:  Order a free copy of your personal Earnings and Benefit Estimate Statement from the Social Security Administration and check it for accuracy.  Notify the SSA of any fraudulent use of your number.    General Information Number:  800-772-1213 or visit their website at  www.socialsecurity.gov

U.S. Mail:  Notify the Postal Inspector of any fraudulent use of your name via the mail.  Visit your local post office, call their General Information, Service Issues and Consumer Affairs Number:  800-275-8777 or visit their website at www.usps.com