District Attorney

Identity Theft

What should I do if I am a victim?

For cases of "true name" and "account takeover" ID theft:

Be sure to report the crime to your local police department.  Obtain a copy of the police report.

Contact the three major credit reporting companies.  Ask them to place a fraud alert on your credit report and to indicate on your reports "My ID has been used to apply for credit fraudulently.  Contact me at [telephone number] to verify all applications."  Ask the credit bureaus to remove inquiries generated due to the fraudulent accounts and to remove the items that are due to the criminal activity of the identity thief.  Here's where to write or call:

   P.O. Box 740241
   Atlanta, GA  30374

   P.O. Box 2104
   Allen, TX  75013
   P.O. Box 6970
   Fullerton, CA  92834

We suggest you send a letter by certified mail explaining how your identity was used to obtain credit in your name.  Include a proper reference to the local law enforcement agency that is investigating your complaint.