District Clerk

Pro Se Divorce

The information contained on these web pages has been compiled to help divorcing parties in Bell County.

It is always recommended that you hire an attorney to represent you in a divorce. This is especially true if you own property other than minimal personal property. Hiring an attorney now, will, in the long-run, save you time and money and reduce the likelihood you will need to return to court to correct mistakes. If you and/or your spouse own boats, real estate, retirement and other employee benefits, stocks, bonds, mutual funds, stock options, or life insurance (with a cash surrender value) you should not rely on forms, because the forms do not address division of this type of property.

Individuals who choose to file for divorce without an attorney are required to follow the same rules and procedures as an attorney. to review and accept these responsibilities.


If there is a history of family violence, seek the assistance of an attorney. The court can order protection for you or your children; however, it is important that the documentation be done correctly and in a time critical manner. An attorney will see that this is done properly. If you need assistance related to a protective order, the local Legal Aid office may be able to help. Call 1-888-674-4529 and say you require a protective order.